Spicing it up this Easter with this decadent chocolate hot cross bun pudding. Easy to throw together for an indulgent breakfast/brunch for fam or friends!
- 6 chocolate, fruit or plain hot cross buns
- 4 large eggs
- 40g Dutch cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 400ml thickened cream
- 1 punnet raspberries, to serve
For the chocolate sauce:
- 200ml thickened cream
- 180g milk cooking chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Slice hot cross buns horizontally into halves and place them in a baking dish large enough to fit all 6 hot cross buns.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla bean paste and condensed milk until smooth, then whisk in the thickened cream.
- Arrange the first layer of sliced hot cross buns in your baking dish, cover with the custard mixture, and let sit for a minute to soak in, before repeating with the tops. You can bake now or set aside in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking.
- To bake, place the baking dish on the bottom third of the oven and cook for around 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown, and the centre is set but still has a little custardy wobble.
- Meanwhile, for the chocolate sauce, bring the thickened cream to a simmer, turn off the heat and whisk in chocolate until you have a smooth and glossy sauce.
- Serve the pudding warm, drizzled with chocolate sauce and topped with fresh raspberries.