I must have made thousands of these since perfecting my recipe over 10 years ago. Fresh strawberry buttercream on a delicate vanilla sponge, it doesn't get better.
For the sponge:
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp salt
- 300g SR flour
- 150ml full cream milk
- 15ml lemon juice
- Patty pans
For the buttercream:
- 100g strawberries, plus more for toppings
- 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 500g soft icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp rosewater
Makes 14 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer with paddle attachment until very pale and fluffy (you’ll need to scrape the sides down a few times to make sure all of the butter and sugar is being creamed. It will take 5 or more minutes).
- Slowly drizzle in eggs and vanilla essence on high speed, beating until incorporated.
- Turn the mixer down to the lowest setting and incorporate salt and half of the flour until just combined.
- Add lemon juice and milk and beat until combined, then add remaining flour, beat for a moment then finish folding through with a spatula (you want to avoid beating the flour too much or the gluten will be overworked and the cupcakes will be tough and shrink).
- Divide between 12-14 patty pans in a muffin tray and bake for 17-20 minutes, until sponges bounce back .
- For the buttercream, puree strawberries until quite smooth (a little texture remaining is nice).
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat unsalted butter with 300g icing sugar on high speed, until very pale and fluffy
- Gradually drizzle in strawberry puree, then beat in remaining icing sugar until incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla extract, lemon juice and rosewater until combined.
- Use a large spatula to scrape down the edges of the bowl, then continue to beat on high until all ingredients are incorporated and buttercream is fluffy (1-2 minutes).