Level up your carb with the addition of tomato paste and chilli flakes for a 🌶️hot🌶️ new take on the classic fave. This is a fun one for date night, with someone, with your cat, with yourself. Rich and creamy, crispy pancetta, and spice because chilli is the best and it also releases endorphins and I'm really into those right now. Be bold, try it.
- 300g pasta (short pasta is fun for this one)
- 70g unsmoked pancetta or guanciale, cut into lardons
- 100g double concentrate tomato paste
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 egg yolks
- 35g finely grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Add pancetta (or guanciale) to a large Dutch oven and drizzle over a little bit of olive oil to help it cook evenly.
- Cook pancetta over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the fat has melted and sizzled to golden brown.
- Add chilli flakes and tomato paste and cook until the colour deepens.
- Spoon out into a heat-proof bowl and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in salty water until al dente.
- Add egg yolks and Parmesan to the bowl of tomato paste and pancetta, and stir until well combined. Very gradually whisk in ½ cup pasta water.
- Strain pasta directly into the pot you used to cook the pancetta, pour in tomato mix, and toss until well combined.
- Add a little extra reserved pasta water until the sauce has reached a looser, smoother consistency. It should be thick enough to cling to the pasta but not prevent the pasta from moving fluidly when tossed.
- Taste and season, then serve with more cheese.